Introduce yourself here!

How to Write a Novel Forums Welcome! Introduce yourself here!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Virginia Bailey 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jessica
    Keymaster

Hi guys!
    I’m super excited to be working with you on this course :)
    Please feel free to introduce yourself and let us know a little bit about you in this private forum (don’t worry, only academy members have access to these posts).
    I’ll start…
    I’m 28, married and have a gorgeous daughter who turned one a few months ago. Pre-motherhood I worked in the wine industry (yum!). I’ve always loved writing and published my first novel in March this year. My novel, Walking Dead Girl, is a dark fantasy novel about a young woman who gets kidnapped by vampires. I LOVE supernatural books and TV shows (but I’m too much of a wuss to watch zombie stuff – go figure).
    I write pretty much every day, even if its only a page or two, as I find it is by far the easiest way to achieve my writing goals.Sometimes it means waking up early (blech!) or staying up past midnight (preferred).
    I love connecting with other writers and can’t wait to meet you all in here.
    Enjoy the course!
    Jessica
    “How to Write a Novel” creator

Tabitha Studer
    Participant

hello! I’m Tabitha and very much looking forward to getting some substantial writing done. I recently turned 30 (end of August), and I’m married to my high school sweetheart living very near our hometown. We have two little gremlin children – both as cute as they are rotten. Greyson is 3 1/2 years and Gemma is 1 1/2 years.

I just became a SAHM this past summer, leaving a career in education (first as a teacher in Brooklyn, NY and then as a Project Manager in an educational software company). I write a blog and have been thinking about a novel for the past 5 years – but never can find the persistence or dedication to get it done. I prefer early morning writing or whenever inspiration strikes.

My biggest struggle is feeling like a ‘real writer,’ since I never went to school for it, neither do I have anything published. I just sort of started to figure out that I love doing and it’s easy for me to connect with my readers (as stated by my blog followers) – but I still never feel like that is a word that I am worthy of using to describe myself.

Can’t wait to get started!

Jessica
    Keymaster

Hi Tabitha!
    Brooklyn, wow! I love the east coast of the US, it was actually where I happened to be travelling when the idea for my novel came to me! That was 7 years ago and I didn’t write very much of it until this year, so 5 years doesn’t sound too long :)

At the moment I’m working on my 2nd novel and I’m also really enjoying pouring everything I know and have learned about creative writing, editing and publishing into this course.

Because I am clearly not busy enough, I’ve also just taken on another amazing writing-themed project with another writer that will be announced in a few weeks. I absolutely love the indie writing scene and feel so lucky that I’ve found some amazing friends in the process.

Can’t wait to get the first lesson out in the next few days!

Jo-Anne
    Participant

Hi I’m Jo-Anne,
    I live in Perth and have been writing for as long as I can remember. Although I never seem to be able to actually finish a manuscript. I did complete a short story about 2 years go which was published in an anthology through Firefly & Whisp Publishing. It’s a surreal and completely amazing feeling holding a physical copy of my story in my hands and I have wanted to feel that again with a full novel.
    I can’t wait to start the course!

Cassandra Potent
    Participant

Hi Everyone, I’m Cass!
    I’ve toyed with the idea of writing since I was very little but as I grew up ‘life’ just seemed to get in the way, or I let it. I became distracted from my passion to write by relationships, studying and the notion of having to earn money and thus gain some independence and I guess, self worth. Essentially, I think I also lacked confidence in my ability to write anything that people would be interested in.

In my current day job I’m a Speech Pathologist and have been for nearly 10 years now (that makes me feel so old)! I have worked in both Australia and the UK. I currently work part time at Curtin Uni in Perth, supervising Speech Path students – so a more educational role now rather than a clinical one.

The rest of my week I am a Wife and a Mum to our gorgeous and mischievous 16 month old son. My priorities and sense of who I was changed completely after he was born (as you would all understand I’m sure). It took me a while to adjust to the changes in my life i.e. not being the bread winner, being ‘on call’ 24/7 and not being able to go to the toilet when I wanted to!

I think starting this course will be a great way for me to reignite my desire to be creative and reconnect with who I am. Can’t wait to see what you have ready for us Jess :) I am especially keen to learn how to find time to write!

Virginia Bailey
    Participant

Hello, I’m Virginia. I am late getting into the course. I just returned from my first art retreat. It was a lot of fun, but my second book is calling. I must get it finished, as I have many others waiting behind it. I am a mother to 3 kids, two teens still living at home. I work with my husband during the day, and usually spend my evening’s painting. I also have a blog http://www.virginiajbailey.blogspot.com. I love that my blog is a place where I can express myself with words. My challenge is finding the time, and the energy for working on my novel. But, more than that my characters have stopped talking to me because I’ve been busy ignoring them. Now how can I start up the conversation again? I know, I know, just start writing and their words will show up. Thank you all for sharing here, your words spur me on.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.