Week one video and worksheets

How to Write a Novel Forums Week One Discussion Week one video and worksheets

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Tabitha Studer 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jessica
    Keymaster

Has anyone had the chance to watch week one?
    It’s great to be able to get into the “meaty” content, and week one is just the beginning. After you watch this one, you’ll no doubt have a lot of ideas to sift through and write down :)

Virginia Bailey
    Participant

Hi – just got a chance to watch the intro and week one, tonight. It definitely got me thinking. I need to work on my second book in progress but I really am stuck on what happens next? I seem to be great with beginnings, but when I walk away from the work my characters stop talking, which isn’t a good thing. I think the “what if” question will be very helpful to me for brainstorming where to go next. I’m also thinking about the kind of novels I really want to write? I started writing when I was young, and it was always about romance. I think things are a bit different for me now. I always want my character to grow and overcome her own character flaws, and it must have a happy ending, or, I feel cheated. Plus, I love non-fiction. I just wrote up an outline for a short non-fiction book yesterday. Sometimes, I get caught up in too many ideas. This is all so very good though, as I feel like just thinking about this stuff is bound to ignite some great ideas, and a desire to start writing again.

Love the layout of your course. It feels manageable. Thank you so much!

Tabitha Studer
    Participant

Just got a chance to watch video1 and I’m officially obsessed :) hahh. My biggest struggle is that I don’t feel like a ‘real writer,’ like I’m not worthy of the title. But I really appreciated your starting point of looking at my own achievements in writing (no matter how big or small) and writing them down. That gave me the chance to pat myself on the back for what I’ve already accomplished – which is exactly the kind of confidence boost I needed. Also, looking at the pieces I’ve already written to help figure out why they are my favorite was helpful in thinking about what it is that I like about my own writing and how I can continue to incorporate that in my novel. Very helpful and motivating!

The other big lesson I need to get over is the realizing it doesn’t have to be perfect. As a blogger, when I’m done writing a piece it needs to be ‘perfect’ enough to go out right then. So that’s been difficult for me to not get hung up on things that don’t sound just right or exactly like I want them because I am so used to having it be just so before posting on the blog. I just need to get into the swing of writing it all done and then coming back again and again for editing instead of getting stuck on things that I don’t absolutely love right then.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.